Do you suffer from headaches or migraines? According to the National Headache Foundation, you’re not alone:
More than 29.5 million Americans suffer from migraines.
There are many different types of headaches with causes ranging from hormones to stress. However, migraines specifically are classified under these symptoms:
- Feeling moderate to severe pain on either side or both sides of the head.
- The presence of steady or pulsating pain.
- Activity makes the pain worse.
- Light or sound sensitivity.
- Nausea that can even lead to vomiting.
- Experiencing an aura prior to the migraine that can include visual changes, seeing bright lights, or even arm/leg tingles. (This occurs in about 20% off sufferers.)
And this is just a sampling of the symptoms people experience! There are as many natural remedies for headaches as there are reasons why people get headaches. Sometimes a variety of different herbs, foods, or services need to be tried until you discover what works for you. You can also track your symptoms to discover what might trigger them. After finding relief and exploring the causes of your migraine, start changing your behavior until you can pinpoint what will work for a long term solution.
Dietary changes can be huge for migraine relief. A member of my family suffered from migraines for years, but after starting a gluten-free lifestyle and he no longer suffers from migraines! If he strays from this very much, he will get a slight headache which confirms his intolerance to gluten. Others find that getting rid of sugar, caffeine, or dairy in their diet helps.
Supplements can also be helpful if migraines and headaches occur due to nutritional imbalances or if other effects are needed that herbs can provide:
- Some studies find a decrease in gastric hydrochloric acid in some sufferers. There is a reflex point for this that we can check.
- Feverfew is an herb that has been known to help migraine sufferers. MigRelief actually combines two varieties of Feverfew then adds magnesium and riboflavin for a great combination that works synergistically together. It may take 3 months to get the full benefits, but it is well worth it if it results in relief. The dosage is one tablet twice daily.
- The supplement 5-HTP is a neurotransmitter that can help relieve stress and tension, therefore a great solution for migraines and headaches.
Tension can also be a precursor to headaches as well as misaligned vertebra or other bones. Modalities that work from that perspective can be invaluable for total relief:
- Massage Therapy eases tension and helps relief tight muscles that can cause headaches of all kinds. The more regular you get massage, the greater benefit you feel.
- Chiropractic care is a must to really get to the bottom of headaches. It could even be a TMJ problem that can also be addressed by a chiropractor.
Overall, there are many ways to be proactive against headaches and migraines. The biggest challenge is to actually do whatever you choose regularly. Life is just so busy nowadays that taking time to take care of ourselves can be the last thing on your “to do” list. Pick up the phone and make an appointment for a massage or chiropractic care. Get some herbs or minerals to start taking. Don’t just think about it, do it and see how much better you feel!