If you’re like me, you struggle with headaches on a regular basis. With the stressful, busy American lifestyle, it’s a common problem. Headaches can originate not just from stress, but unreleased emotions, dietary issues, hormonal imbalances, reactions to medication, or a sleep deficit. If you are unsure of the root of your headaches, try keeping a journal of your headaches to pick out any patterns.
Here’s a few quick tips for dealing with headaches.
1. Relax. Muscle tension is one of the biggest causes of headaches. If you haven’t ever tried massage therapy, this is the time to do so!
2. Seek chiropractic care. Misalignment in your neck, shoulders, and back can cause muscle tension and cause headaches. I know many times my headaches are rooted in a misaligned neck and getting an adjustment will alleviate most – if not all – of my pain.
3. Hydrate & eat a balanced diet. Consuming high amounts of sugar, empty carbohydrates, and caffeine can cause headaches and throw your system off-balance. Also, many times if you have a food allergy or sensitivity it can manifest itself in headaches. (You can get checked for these with Calvin’s biomeridian test at Natural Options.)
4. Eliminate stress. Even though it’s not possible to really eliminate all negative stress from your life, there are ways to greatly reduce it. Exercise, yoga, tai chi, or another aerobic activity will help clear your mind and reduce stress. Even just taking a few minutes out of your day to sit by yourself and reflect will be a great help!
5. Peppermint essential oil. I love using a small amount of peppermint oil to rub on my temples and the back of my neck. In a short amount of time, this usually will clear up a headache.